The Top 10 Essential Oils for Pimples
The most common form of acne is the result of hormones, dead skin, skin oil (sebum), and ingrown hairs clogging up your pores. When pores are clogged up, they can turn into a hotbed for all types of bacteria, specifically propionibacterium acnes (P. acnes) bacteria. Eventually, that can turn into pimples and blemishes. Using topicals that dry out or kill bacteria on the surface of your skin is the most effective way to combat acne. This brings us to the benefits of essential oils and which are best for acne-prone skin.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil – Derived from the melaleuca tree, Tea Tree essential oil is considered to be one of the most powerful essential oils for treating acne-prone skin. This is why it’s been used in skin cleaning remedies for centuries. A powerful antiseptic, studies have shown that it helps dry out bacteria, causing pimples to vanish. However, because it is so effective, use it sparingly and then follow up with a moisturizer.
- Lemon Essential Oil – Chock full of antioxidants, Lemon essential oil’s astringent properties helps you unclog your pores and gently exfoliate dead skin cells. This promotes skin healing and prevents further acne breakouts.
- Rosemary Essential Oil – One of the most effective ways to combat acne is by preventing skin conditions from occurring. Rosemary essential oil helps manage sebum production, which means your skin can become less oily. As a natural anti-inflammatory, it also helps reduce skin irritation caused by breakouts.
- Lemongrass Essential Oil – Lemongrass is an antimicrobial with naturally astringent properties. It helps dry out pimples.
- Bergamot Essential Oil – As a citrus-derived essential oil, Bergamot not only smells fantastic but also can help improve your skin's clarity and health. It can help reduce inflammation, which can lead to less swelling and pimple shrinkage.
- Sandalwood Essential Oil – Sandalwood is one of the most nourishing essential oils you can use on your skin, which is why it’s a popular component in many face washes and shaving creams. It’s a gentle healer that can help fight bacteria that causes skin flare-ups. Additionally, it can help prevent pimples from developing into pustules or papules.
- Lavender: Lavender is highly regarded for skin and beauty and is commonly used in fragrances and shampoos to help purify the skin. In essential oil uses, lavender is a multipurpose oil. It is purported to have anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antidepressant, antiseptic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties, as well as antispasmodic, analgesic, detoxifying, hypotensive, and sedative effects.
- Geranium: Geranium oil is widely used as an ingredient in perfumes and cosmetics. The essential oil is also used in aromatherapy to treat a number of health conditions. The geranium essential oil has antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiseptic properties that make it beneficial for reducing acne breakouts, skin irritation, and skin infections when applied topically.
Whether you’re young or old, acne is a problem that almost every person will have to deal with to some degree. Fortunately, you no longer have to depend on expensive, synthetic skincare products. Thanks to essential oils, there’s a better way. This is where Divine Aroma can assist. Many of our products are perfect for helping you reduce acne or prevent it from developing in the first place. With Divine Aroma, every essential oil is ethically and sustainably sourced.